Happy January! It’s nearly time for the Lunar New Year, which falls on January 25th! We’re celebrating the Year of the Rat. During Lunar New Year, it’s a tradition for adults to give children pocket money nestled in bright red envelopes. In Chinese culture, the color red represents happiness and good luck.
Use the directions below to teach your little ones how to make their own red envelopes.
Decorate your red envelopes any way you want and celebrate a happy and prosperous new year to come. Happy Lunar New Year!
- Cut out the envelope template and place it on top of the red construction paper, tracing the outline of the template onto the red paper.
- Fold in both sides and use the glue stick to seal shut.
- Fold up the bottom and use the glue stick to seal shut.
- Fold over the top and make a crease, but leave it open to put money inside.
- Decorate the front of your envelope.
Shop World Edition Now!
Recommended for ages 6-10
“My son looks forward to the adventure in our mailbox each month!”
-Adrian, mom of 10-year-old-son
Explore the world, one country at a time, with our fun and educational subscription. Each package is filled with letters, souvenirs, stickers, activities, recipes, games and more!