The Circleville Pumpkin Show is famous for big pumpkin displays and all different types of pumpkin-flavored food. On their USA adventures, Sam and Sofia visited Ohio and loved pumpkin pie donuts – and they are a fun and easy dessert to bake. Follow the recipe below to bring a taste of Circleville to your home. Enjoy!
Learn much more about Ohio with Sam & Sofia! Subscribe to our USA Edition today.
What You Will Need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Donut pan
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (for sugar topping)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (for sugar topping)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (for sugar topping)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the donuts (flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda). Stir well.
- Add the pumpkin puree, eggs, milk and butter to the mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on a low speed until it forms a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into a greased donut pan.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let donuts cool on a drying rack. While they cool, mix the remaining brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly brush the donuts with the melted butter.
- While butter is still moist, sprinkle the sugar and pumpkin pie mixture over the top so that it sticks to the donut.
- Let the donuts cool completely before serving.