Little Passports (www.littlepassports.com) is a high-growth e-commerce company building the next major children’s brand. We design fun and engaging products designed to spark curiosity in children. Our monthly subscription packages, covering geography and science, deliver hands-on activities that are fun and educational. Our award-winning products have been featured in many national publications, including The NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur Magazine, and USA Today. Our executive team and board members come from Disney, Google, Facebook, eBay, McKinsey, Instacart, Wiliams Sonoma and other best-in-class companies.
With over 4 million packages shipped, we’ve built a passionate community of families and young globetrotters. We’re looking for a talented and experienced Director of Product Design to help lead our Product Design group. You are someone who deeply shares our passion for designing high-quality, innovative products that spark curiosity and creativity. You appreciate how magical learning can happen through hands-on, interactive experiences.
You instinctively know what will appeal to children. You have a great eye and an intuitive sense of what children will find fun and interesting. You can combine your intuition with customer research to take products from inception to launch. You are familiar with all aspects of the product development cycle from brainstorming, research, and prototyping to manufacturing and launch. We believe strongly in a product development cycle that involves rapid prototyping and multiple iterations.
You are an excellent cross-functional partner and collaborator working with other groups on theProduct Design group, including Editorial and Sourcing as well as Marketing, Finance and Customer Service, to understand and meet customer needs. You know how to strike the right balance while prioritizing multiple parameters, including time to market and product margins You are also an experienced manager who enjoys leading teams and mentoring team members.
We were ranked Best Place to Work in 2017, and we promote a flexible and positive work environment. You will be surrounded by team members who are all motivated and passionate to create innovative products that inspire curiosity in kids and have a positive impact.
Our offices are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of BART and Caltrain.
Come and work with us to build the next major children’s brand!
- Own, manage and drive the product roadmap working with the Executive Team
- Design and develop products from conception to launch
- Prototype products to determine feasibility
- Help manage and conduct user testing
- Partner with Sourcing and vendors to determine product development timelines and manage execution according to those timelines
- Lead brainstorming of new initiatives to fit with company’s strategic plans
- Manage, grow, inspire and mentor a team of Product Designers
- Work with cross-functional partners to support product launches.
- We are a start-up so candidate must be willing to wear multiple hats, be flexible and pitch in whenever and wherever needed to help get the job done. We love people who are excited to get involved where needed!
- Strong passion for developing innovative and fun children’s products
- 7 to 10 years of physical product design experience for children’s products with a background in product design and/or industrial design
- Experience developing products from conception through to shipping, including prototyping, user testing, and rapid iteration cycles
- Knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience with overseas manufacturing and working with overseas suppliers
- Experience with safety/packaging/labeling a plus
- Proficiency with Adobe suite of products and 3D CAD modeling and renderings
- Strong people management experience leading and building teams
- Ability to both think high-level and be detail-oriented
- Experience working in start-up or fast-paced, high-growth environments
- Strong problem-solving skills – you love challenges and working your way through them
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Highly-motivated self-starter with a positive “get it done” attitude
Please provide cover letter, link to online portfolio and resume to: email@example.com. Only applications with cover letters will be considered.
Little Passports is an equal opportunity employer.