Celebrate Mexico’s Independence Day!
September 16th is Mexico’s Independence Day, also known as Grito de Dolores. Whip up a delicious mole sauce following our recipe below and get in the spirit. ¡Viva México!
What You Will Need
- 10 red chilies
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. flaked almonds
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- pinch of cinnamon
- sugar, to taste
- 5fl oz. chicken stock
- 3 1/2 oz. dark 70% cocoa-solids chocolate, grated
- Crush the chilies, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, peppercorns and cloves in a mortar and pestle. Pour into a frying pan and dry-fry for a minute or so, until lightly browned and fragrant.
- In a separate pan, fry the onion, garlic and cocoa powder in a little vegetable oil for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil, then add all the dry-fried spices, the cinnamon, sugar and stock and cook for 25 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Turn out and fold in the chocolate.
- Serve with a grilled chicken dish.