14 Must-Ask Questions for Your New Babysitter
Interviewing for a new after-school sitter or nanny for the school year? It’s important to determine the right questions to ask to find the right fit for your family. It has been said that finding a great babysitter is as much intuition as it is qualification. But whether you’re hiring a sitter for one Saturday night or a nanny for (hopefully) years to come, it’s important to have a detailed discussion about the care of your child.
Here is a handy list of key interview questions to ask that will make everyone – you, your sitter and your kids – feel more at ease!
1. What is your childcare background?
2. Do you have children of your own, nieces or nephews, godchildren, or young cousins?
3. Do you envision yourself doing this for a long period of time or just in the near future?
4. What do you think is the best form of discipline for a baby, toddler, grade-school child?
5. Do you believe tidying the house is part of your job?
6. How much do you charge and how does that relate to your experience?
7. Do you do overnights? How much do you charge for that?
8. Are you comfortable driving? Taking walks in the stroller? Going to the park, library, local cafe?
9. Do you have any current health issues that might prevent you from caring properly for my children?
10. Have you been formally trained in CPR?
11. Can you give me an example of an activity you might do with my children? (art project, hide and seek, board game, etc.)
12. Under what circumstances would you call me?
13. Under what circumstances would you call 911?
14. What do you expect from me as a parent?
Find child care that fits your schedule with UrbanSitter, an easy-to-use app and website that taps into your local community to connect you with sitters recommended by parents from your child’s school, mom and dad groups, and your neighborhood. Detailed profiles include reviews from parents, background checks, repeat family badges, and more. Best of all, book jobs and interviews instantly, and pay with a tap!